Monday, October 29, 2007

Bombay Going out of Business


I was surprised to see Bombay holding a going out of business sale in the village this week. Actually, I wasn't too surprised. I didn't really know anyone who shopped there. The store seemed to have cool items but I don't know if cool was enough to fill people's homes. Anyways, I stopped in and asked an employee what was going on. The employee said that the entire company went under so this is not a uniquely Birkdale event. I went to the website which has been discontinued and then I went to a business news site where the last update was that the Bombay Company had secured $10 Million in financing at the end of September. Apparently, that was not enough and so this month they are going out of business. It must stink to be the Bombay company founder. Seeing the company that he/she created and expanded fall apart. On the other hand, now that it is a publicly traded company, he/she probably cashed out a significant chunk of wealth at the time of the IPO. Anyways, bankruptcy is a neccessary evil for our market economy.
I think that this might be a good thing in the long run because that is a prime location that could draw additional shopping traffic to Birkdale. Was Bombay a destination store? I was thinking that it would be a great location for a Panera Bread. It has a great outdoor setting between Banana Republic and what is now Bombay. Unfortunately, I don't have the $7.5 million net worth required to startup a Panera Franchise. Seriously though, we're considering a New Style Bakery/Deli somewhere in the village. I wonder if it would work in that location. Anyone for good bagels? Italian Bread?

Any other ideas for what would be a good fit in the Bombay location?

No comments: